Sunday, November 29, 2009

Bedtime with Atticus (part XX)

The best conversations with Atticus happen just before bedtime... Somehow tonight our convo ended with me telling him he didn't have to go to college. Hope I don't live to regret that one!

A- I'm just having a really hard time going to sleep.
Me- I know. What do you think would help?
A- I need to have you with me.
Me- I can't always lay with you. What else might help?
A- Just you. I will ALWAYS need you to lay with me.
Me- Even when you're 18?
A- Will I be in Kindergarten when I'm 18?
Me- No, you'll be in college.
A- Where is that school?
Me- You can go anywhere you want. Somewere in town here or far, far away.
A- (Starting to cry). But I don't want to go far away.
Me- Well, it will be in a long time, like 20 years.
(Somehow the poor child has gotten the idea that we're sending him to Kindergarten boarding school and is getting increasingly upset. I hold him tight.)
Me- You don't have to go to college.
A- K (sniff, sniff). Thank you.

Sweet, sweet, sensitive Atticus. I love him so much!

2 comments:

melanie said...

Reminds me of an evening long ago in the basement bedroom of one college student who had not started packing her things for her move to UW the next day. I recall her comment... "Do I have to go??? But I like it HERE."

Emily said...

Thanks, Mom, for outing me as a crybaby Momma's girl! ;)